Thursday, June 2, 2011

Confession and Bieber Fever

I have a confession to make. I love Justin Bieber. So most of you are closing the blog window now, BUT WAIT. Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. I love him not because of his hair or his stupid backwards cap, but because of his commitment to his dream. I finally saw "Never Say Never." Yes, it was filled with a plethera of pre-pubescent girls screaming, but it also was full of love and dedication to his dream. This kid was born to a teen-aged Mom who nurtured his talent and allowed him to be himself. He drummed on chairs and sang on street corners and crooned into the abyss of YouTube. And now, whether you like it or not, he is an icon. At 17. Many of the boy bands of the 90's were manufactured, like N'Sync. But at its heart was Justin Timberlake, who has gone on to became a Grammy-award winning artist, an actor, and an hysterical comedian (his Saturday Night Live skits will make you pee in your pants). I'm not saying Justin Bieber is the next Michael Jackson, but the kid has mad skills and will be around for a while.
As I watched his movie with my kids, I found myself singing along. Caught up in the giddiness that is the naivety of chasing dreams. But it reminded me of a quote I read recently on one of the writers' websites: "The difference between a published writer and an unpublished writer is perseverance."
This, and a baby-faced kid from Canada, makes me think that if I work hard enough and never give up....

No comments:

Post a Comment